Monday, August 13, 2012

5 reasons to exercise + feel good


I've been more than slack on the exercise front recently + always manage to find an excuse as to why I can't work out. But I know I need to get my act together + shake off these winter blues because summer is going to arrive before we know it. And given that I'm headed to the South of Spain next month, where the temperatures are still going to be lovely and warm, I need to make sure I'm in good shape!

So starting this week I'm going to get back into my exercise rhythm, aiming to commit to a regular exercise schedule of 4 times a week for at least 45 minutes. I know how good I always feel after I have exercised, so I really just need to make the time + do it!

Here are a few reasons to put those running shoes on + get moving...

1. Exercise gives you energy. Yep, strange but true, the more energy you expend on exercise will actually help feel more alert and energized throughout the day. Exercise  = energy. 

2. Brainpower. Research has shown that exercise improves a person’s memory more than those brain games you read about on the Internet.

3. Sleep. Fact: people who exercise sleep better at night. 

4. Exercise helps to improve your mood. Working out stimulates chemicals in your  brain that leave you feeling happier and relaxed, which reduce the risk for anxiety and depression when you exercise regularly. 

5. Exercise improves your self esteem. When you commit to exercising regularly you are doing something that is contributing to your overall health and well-being, which in turn will help you feel better about your body.


How do you keep motivated to exercise + keep up a regular schedule?

Rachel xo

Image // quote



10 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Rachel. I have my own exercise routine: I go for a 30-40-minutes run early in the morning 4 or 5 times a week. I feel great after my run and ready for a new day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I go to an aerobics class every Monday but lately I have been trying hard to do more exercise icluding Zumba on Wednesdays (but I need to make time to go every week!!)
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to exercise! I do it 3-4 times weekly and change the routine depending on my mood and energy levels. I think once you start and do it a few times, your body will start asking for it, so it will become a natural process. Just find a form of exercise you really REALLY enjoy and love, this way you won't need any extra motivation. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i too have decided that this is the week to get back into my exercising routine! i ALWAYS manage to find some sort of excuse.. must.try.harder! good luck with sticking to yours :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to and ever since Mila was born I have been slacking...need to get back into a routine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a dedicated exerciser-- I work out six days a week religiously, and every single one of the statements you made I can attest to. Even just on my one rest day a week I feel noticeably more fatigued, lethargic, yawning constantly, and then I don't sleep well! Exercise is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes and yes. Agree with it all. Excising is part of my life, I can't tell you how much I enjoy it, is good for your soul, body and mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lately i have been using signing up for races as motivation to make sure i get out there. i have never had a problem with getting my butt out the door to exercise but when i know i have a race then i make sure i run a lot faster, i run longer and i run smarter. great tips you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg! I have considered doing races too, but I worry that I won't make those long runs. It definitely would be a good motivator though; perhaps I should give it a try xx

      Delete